Saturday, September 1, 2012

Uncomfortable conversions; or "Awww, we lost one!"

Leah Libresco, you go girl!

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/22/prominent-atheist-blogger-converts-to-catholicism/

I've been having a longstanding debate with myself over whether I should convert to something else, my chosen worldview being rife with too many examples of hatred and stupidity. However, in the final analysis, I do still believe that we nonreligious can be truly good without God, while at the same time maintaining respect and regard for those who are good with God. I still believe that moral Christians and moral atheists here in the U.S. can work together against common enemies, the extremists who occupy both the far right and left ends of the spectrum in this realm of belief and non-belief. It may turn out to be a pipe dream, but I'll hold onto it as long as I can.

Oh, and I couldn't help but note this in the article, from my old pal Hemant:

Mehta says that Libresco’s conversion is a "one-off thing" and not something that signals any trend in atheism. "The trends are very clear, the conversions from Catholicism to atheism are much more likely to happen than the other way around," he said.

Nervous, Mr. Mehta? Scared, maybe?

Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment